What is Teff?
Also known as Eragrostis Teff, a small Gluten free grain from Ethiopia with a long list of health benefits. Launching for the first time in India this pack of goodness is here to senhance lifestyles and bring about a change on the stereotype of “How healthy food is tasteless and boring “. For the first Teff grain is available in India through LiL’Goodness. Grown in the dry lands of North Karnataka, Teff also promotes sustainable agriculture by using less water and providing meaningful income to farmers in arid areas.
Not only does it provide an impressive set of nutrients, but it’s also been associated with a wide range of benefits.
– Gluten Free
– High Fibre Content ( stimulates digestion )
– Immune Booster
– Helps in autoimmune condition such as celiac disease- Low Glycemic Index ( helps in Diabetes )
– Weight control ( Good copper content boost energy
which subsequently heals muscles, joints and tissues
– High protein 20 g = 1 Egg
– Calcium 100 g of Teff = 1 cup of milk
– Helps with Iron deficiency Anemia with its High Iron
– Contains Vitamin B complex
– Relieves Pre Menstrual symptoms
– Low salt content
– It is also known to have photochemical, prebiotic effect.
How to use?
Teff is versatile and many recipes can be made out of it.
Delicious in porridge, stews, stuffing, and pilaff, teffcan be cooked alone or in combination with other grains and vegetables.
Simply add teff grains to your poha, upma, dosa batter and other breakfasts. OR savor the crunch of teff in any cakes that you bake.
Simply cook 1 cup teff with 3 cups water or stock. Season with one or more of the following spices for a tasty dish: cinnamon, ginger, garlic, cardamom, chilies, basil and cilantro. Teff is quick cooking, too. No need to pre-rinse, teff comes clean, having already passed through a series of screens after harvest. Ready in 20 minutes, Teff is ideal for a fast meals. For pastries, ivory and brown teff flour make superb pancakes, pie crusts, and cookies.
You could also make several other recipes according to your taste choice and how creative you can get with your cookings.